NAIROBI MAISHA HALISI

THE TRUTH ABOUT BUSINESS AND LIFE IN KENYA



Wednesday 8 June 2011

SAFARICOM CONMEN HAVE UPGRADED

It was Monday, May 16th 2011 at exactly 9.02 a.m when I received a call from an alleged safaricom employee who informed me that I had won an amount of Kshs. 50,000 through their Send money with M-PESA promotion. I was super excited but wait a minute, I hadn't heard or seen any advertisement from the reputable company on the same. Something was not right.

The man on the other end-phone number 0788388794 was very persistent. He probed on very financially sensitive issues such as my M-PESA balance and what have you. The way he did it,I could tell he was brilliant but fishy.Well, I played along to see where the game would take me.

After all was said,now it was time to do. He asked me to get on another line that he was going to call me on so that I could follow some simple instructions using my phone. This is how the conversation went down:

Conman: Go to your M-PESA option and get to the drop down menu
Me         : Yes
Conman: click on the ATM Withdrawal option
Me         : Yes
Conman:  Enter the Agent number 555555
Me         : aaaa......mmmm....Yes
Conman: Enter your PIN number.....Don't tell me...that is your secret.....Don't ever disclose it to anyone!
Me         : oooook....(mind you...I was not at all doing all these things he was telling me to...he thought I was)
Conman:  What is your authorization code?
Me         : Wait a minute!.....Can I ask you a few questions?....you know before we can continue...
Conman: Sure Mr. Me.....what do you want to know?
Me        : Well..since you work for safaricom,could you please tell me the transaction details of my M-PESA   account  for the past three days...
Conman: aaaaa...Sir....Please just follow the Instructions and stop asking too many questions....Safaricom is a big company....If you don't need the money,we could give it to somebody else...(the tone of his voice was changing...like that of somebody who was very frustrated)
Me        : I appreciate the award but why do I have to go through all this trouble just to get that  amount of money?...I have not heard of any M-PESA promotions in the media or from Safaricom herself...Are you trying to con me?
Conman: Please listen Sir...you can choose to trust me or not...BUT at the end of the day It will be your lose...
Me         :.....I don't really feel comfortable doing this.....so Thank You BUT...No thank you.....(I turned down their offer and I hang up.....)

UPGRADED: HOW THEY DO IT.
  • Con men will call you and make you feel super comfortable.
  • They will convince you to do what they want.
  • They do it either very early in the morning or very late in the evening and on specific days of the week or month when you are probably tired, frustrated, distracted,broke,drunk or just woken up.
  • They are very intelligent.
HOW TO BEAT THEM:
  • Don't send any amount of money for your reward.
  • Don't give out your pin number to anyone else-It is your ultimate secret.
  • Don't disclose your financial information to a stranger.
  • Inquire about any promotions and rewards with the company concerned.
  • Trust your instincts.
  • Don't give in to a stranger's game plan.
I hope this article enlightens you all. The con men are here and trust me, they have upgraded.


2 comments:

  1. I agree they are getting younger and smater every day. Economic pressures and people want to make money in any way they can. No one is safe anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. citizen TV stole this story over the weekend....and they never acknowledged it......

    ReplyDelete